Discover Grou's Neighbourhoods

Akkrum was according to the population the second village of the old municipality Boarnsterhim. Regarding to the location and construction Akkrum and Nes are forming a unity, which is why both villages are often mentioned in the same breath. Akkrum originated on a mound (525-725 AD) on the south side of the river Boarne and is grown along the Slachtedyk. In the 11th and 12th centuries there were probably fishermen, craftsmen and tradesmen. Around 1500 Akkrum was completely destroyed by fire and rebuilt.

In the early 18th century Akkrum will be known for his butchers export to London. Akkrum had the first Skatingfactory of the Netherlands, Steam Skatingfactory 'De Ruiter', and was founded in 1860-1861. For the development Akkrum's oil and animal feed industry in the past (1841-2001) was very important. Notably led by Ulbe Twijnstra in the period 1887-1912 the company flourished. For over a century it was the largest employer in the village. Characteristic are the Terp-Tsjerke (1759), and the in neo-classical-style build Baptist Church (1835), 'Coopersburg' . 'Welgelegen Coopersburg' was founded in 1900 by the Akkrumer Harmens Folkert Kuipers, who had made his fortune in America. It was built as a home for the elderly of those days but is currently used for housing one and two person households. The former Regent Room is decorated as ancient room. Welgelegen complexes homes for unmarried women and widows, with facing the street there is a beautiful garden domed from 18th century.

The Foundation Welgelegen founded in 1924 by Miss Suster van der Vegt from Akkrum. The central location to open waters and its accessibility by road and rail, Akkrum has become a popular recreational village. 'De Meinesloot' is the marina adjoining campsite Tusken de Marren with 400 berths. There are several charter water sports, hotels, cafe-restaurants and a range of shops. Akkrum is known as an active and cozy village, mainly due to the organization of sporting, tourist and cultural activities of format. Who does not know the Frisian Dei Spider Monkey and F.K. Mast Climbing Nowadays Akkrum promoted both Mastklim- as Giantville.

In the year 1200 Aldeboarn was located on both sides of the Boarne and a significant trading center. With the disappearance of the 'Middenzee' however, the trading opportunities for Aldeboarn disappeared. In 1723 the tower of the tuff church from the 13th century was destroyed by lightning. To get the highest tower in Friesland, the 'Boarnsters' went with a rope to the than highest tower of Tzum to measure it.

The success, however, disappeared when the Boarnsters went for a drink before measuring it, because at that time the Tzummers cut off a piece of the rope. Hereby the 'Boarnsters' still owes the nickname 'Tuorkemjitters'. The 'Waag' was built in 1736 by church agencies en bought in 1937 by the municipal government. The building was partly used as a legal room for the 'Grietman'. Now the building has been restored and used as an ancient room. Aldeboarn has the status of a protected village. Aldeboarn is widely known by the annual 'Gondelvaart'. The 'Boarnster' already performing more than 50 years and realized a magical procession on the water , where thousands of spectators are enjoying.

Both the church and the tower are to visit by appointment.

Dearsum is an ancient mound village, though there is little more of note. Archaeological finds made from Dearsum area predate the era. The village lies on the southeastern bank of the former 'Middenzee' opposite the Slachtedyk. After the former ' Middelzeedijk' was paved to a highway between Sneek and Leeuwarden, the village has developed hardly along the new road. One of the oldest houses is the water inn 'Dearsumer Huske' built in 1787 and known as 'De Reade Hoas'. The present church was built in the 12th century. For this, it probability, had been a wooden church. Weekly the acoustic of the church is well used by members of the 'Jankvodden choir'.

Famous names from Dearsum include the 'Schaap' firm (breeders and exporters) and 'Adam Hurdrider', whose name is also linked to the famous skating club 'Adam and Atze'. There was in the thirties Anske van Dijk, who lived in a houseboat in Dearsum. In the summer he went with the bike out for example, southern France, England, Scotland and Norway. From his travels he made stories, which were published in the blades of the ANWB. The most famous Dearsumer of this time is undoubtedly former skater Ids Postma. Like other villages in the 'Lege Geaën' Dearsum located at the Oudvaart.

In the winter people are skating to other villages and they are fishing in the summer. Since the Tavern Dearsum / café, has been replaced by a restaurant, the village has a new home on the sports field. The Bohn shack commission makes monthly activities. Furthermore, it is above all the rest in the village which is very pleasing experience for the residents.

The Veenhoop is a very small village in the municipality of Smallingerland. Located at the Frisian waters and National Park De Alde Feanen which also villages Grou and Eernewoude at boundaries. The village has a renowned sailing school and a restaurant. More restaurants, shops and attractions can be found in surrounding villages as Earnewoude and Grou.

The beautiful scenery, the peace and quiet are the attractions why people like to come to the Veenhoop. It is an environment where we are quite proud of. Furthermore Friesland with its history, culture, activities and attractions is a province where life is good.

Eagum is one of the smallest villages of Friesland; it employs 29 people. The village consists six farms and an old tower. The tower was restored in 1983. Formerly there hung two bells. On the largest was written in Latin that it was created in the year 1326 in honor of St. Nicholas. The small bell was provided with no ornamentation. It is believed that it is cast in the year 1200. During the war, both clocks are taken out of the tower by the occupiers. The small one returned later, the big one is gone. When King William III died in 1890 Eagum has make themselves heard. As long as the King was on earth, throughout the country have been the death knell sound.

The municipal Eagum however, did not get the report for this event. Was that a mistake? Or was Eagum too small and not worth the trouble? Anyway: it was decided that at the funeral anyway, anyhow, the bells of Eagum would sound. Everyone would know that Eagum existed. On the day of the funeral, the bells rang at eight o'clock in the morning. The other villages in the municipality first started at nine. Eagum kept himself then still. Once the other clocks stopped Eagum began again, so the sound of the bells around the town sounded. Eagum, a small village which is said that it is the middle of the world. And who does not want to believe, you can measure it by yourself.

Eernewoude, on the edge of National Park 'De Alde Feanen', is located in a particularly rich and unique nature. This area consists two parts, the 'Princenhof and the 'De Alde Feanen'. The Princenhof, a fantastic area consisting of large and small ponds, creeks and wider waterways, large and small islands. The name 'Het Princenhof' is derived from its function as a former hunting area of the Dutch royals. 'The Alde Feanen' is a wetland area that is easily accessible for not too large vessels.

Friend's name originated from Freense later this was Freenigge. The village with its church, cozy hidden in the shade, was formerly on the side of 'the Middenzee'.

In the period 1620 - 1849 in the village there was the 'Stins' of the families Beslinga and Sytzama. The building was sold and demolished. Only thirteen mourning signs in the church and the tombs in the cemetery remind us of the old nobility.

The village lies between the rivers Moezel and Zwin, amidst a lush tree growth, 500 meters on the south side of the 'Sneekerhoek', next to the main road. That's Friens, with its farms, church, cattle and meadows.

Goëngahuizen is a rather isolated farming village of only scattered farms, especially in the western tip of Smallingerland in the 'de Modderige Bol'. There are three wooden 'Spinnenkopmolens' from the 19th century. They all have a name: Jansmolen, 'de Modderige Bol' and Heechhiem. They were restored in 1990, 1992/93 and 1995 and owned and managed by the Stichting De Fryske Mole

The village Goïngarijp is part of the municipality of 'De Friese Meren' it has only 229 inhabitants! One of the most distinctive features of Goïngarijp remains its beautiful form the Goïngarijpster Puddles. The village and the tourists are still grateful for the recreation site. Near the sluice of Goïngarijp is a cozy restaurant. Also, the village has a small marina, a boat rental and a sailing school.

Grou was the capital of the municipality Boarnsterhim. Grou now falls under the municipality of Leeuwarden. The old part is a typical water village, situated on a mound which was raised around 1000. From a village of fishermen and skippers Grou has grown into a thriving village with industry, many small companies focused on water sports, recreation and commuting. the location of the village is favorable to the Princess Margietkanaal with its aqueduct over the A32 and the railway Heerenveen Leeuwarden.

Grou is also the center of Frisian cultural activities. Around St. Piter Festival on February 21 (instead of 'Sinterklaas') is a tradition built up Friesian stories, issuing booklets and CDs and DVDs. The Krite Grou develops many cultural activities. The Stifting Grou seeks to preserve elements of the old Grou. St. Piter Church with gable roof tower (12th century) is characteristic, as well as the previous town hall, designed by the architect Kropholler and decorated with sculptures of Tjipke Fishing and Pier Pander and many spells.

In the former town hall , the museum 'Hert fan Fryslân' is located. At the entrance of the Wihelminapark is a bust of Dr. Eeltsje Halbertsma, known Grou Star village doctor, poet and writer. Together with his brother Joast, pastor in Deventer and Tsjalling, merchant in Grou he wrote the famous book 'Rimen en Teltsjes', a collection of poems and Frisian stories. The old village of Grou is a protected village.

In the summer Grou is a sailing center. Regattas are organized by the Royal Yacht Club 'Oostergoo' Royal Watersportvereniging 'Frisia' and the association 'GWS'. Well known is the 'GWS vlet'. The biggest event is undoubtedly the annual Skûtsjesilen. The first game of the competition for the championship between 14 skûtsjes SKS is traditionally held in Grou.

Idaerd is a rural village in the heart of Friesland. In the Middle Ages this village, whose name is derived from Lede or Eda, meaning mound or 'wier van lede', the chief town of the grietenij Edawerderadeel. This name lived on in the name of the former municipality Idaarderadeel. Furthermore, little remains of the past, because Friesmastate, the residence of the Grietman, was demolished in 1882. The gold leather wallpaper from the state is now in the museum the Princessehof in Leeuwarden. What still remains is the church from 1774, in which six stained glass windows and a gable roof tower from the 15th century. Church and tower were restored in 1982. To develop their activities the club house was fully renovated in 1995, the associations and the remainder are designated to Idaerd Reduzum, where the children go to school.

Jirnsum, recognizable from a great distance by the largest FM station in the Netherlands. A village situated in the middle of Friesland, along the the Boarn river. Boarn (formerly called Bordine, Borne or Burdine) is a natural stream that already runs from AD and probably well before. Irnsum is a very old village, for place names that end with 'werd' oder 'um' (=heem) originated in the 7th or 8th century. Irnsum probably means Earn-heme of Earn-um, the territory of someone named Earn. In 1399 Irnsum is first mentioned in writing. In 1476 writes one Yrnesum and Yrnsum. By a decree of the municipality Boarnsterhim establishing official Frisian place names it is using the name Jirnsum from February 1, 1989.

The first inhabitants lived on a mound. The cemetery Tsjerkebuorren is all that's left. Later they moved to the Boarn. By extension, the construction of sports fields, industrial estate, the ring road and the village renewal, the village has developed in the last century to a place where it is pleasant to live and where many find work in the industrial and recreational sectors. In addition to the core of the village Irnsum has a lovely outside area bounded on the south by the Princess Margriet Canal, to the east by the Boarn and to the north by the 'Moezel'.

Nine detached houses have been built on the site Bangma, most of which are at a branch of the Boarn. In the village 'It Kattehûs' a multifunctional building is a place for toddlers, lunchtime childcare, youth, elderly care, associations and so on. Irnsum is a town that lives. The population is involved in its habitat and active in sports and associations. The hospitality industry offers plenty of opportunities for entertainment.

The village of Nes is because of its location often mentioned in the same breath as Akkrum. Nes is considered one of the smaller villages, although the number of inhabitants as a result of new construction has increased significantly in recent years. The old core of Nes is located on the corner of the waterways: the Boarn and Nesser Zijlroede.

Until 1877 stood here for centuries, just south of the Sylsbrêge the Neskersyl (lock). Nes has a 'Klokkenstoel' (1960) on the hilltop of the cemetery mound. The mound is a relic of the monastery Nesser (Nesker Konvent) which has been here in the past. This monastery was founded by the Teutonic Knights around 1200 but disappeared in the late 16th century. The monastery church "St. Nicholas" stood longer, but later fell into disrepair and broken. The monastery had a lot of land in ownership and has been very important for both the village Nes, as the reclamation and management of the surrounding area.

The mound was originally much larger, but the beginning of the 19th century largely excavated. In 1997 an aqueduct in the Boarne and a new waterway from the Boarne to Nesser Zijlroede was realised. Although arose northwest of the old center of Nes, between the old and the new Boarne an island, which is now the new residential area 'Boarnstee'. This makes the appearance of Nes has changed significantly in recent years. Meanwhile Nes is a village with a large new residential area with a small charming old center, with the common characteristic of nearly all inhabitants live 'near the water'.

The most striking building of Nes is the water tower (60 meters). In 2000 (under Simmer 2000), is temporarily transformed into a huge lamp, which was a great success in publicity terms. This 'water tower-lamp' condition is even listed in the Guinness Book of Records. For the amenities residents can go to Akkrum. Nes is situated at the beginning of the Turf route: a nice start to a wonderful route eastward.

Poppenwier is a mound village with about 180 inhabitants and is one of the small villages in the rural area the 'Lege Geaen'. Despite the relatively small population Poppenwier has an active associational and there are regular activities for young and old. Poppenwier must already be a very old village, because the mounds are found at excavation shards of pottery from the first to the twelfth century. The shards of the 'Koegelpotten' and ' Rijnlands' pottery. The name Poppenwier is probably derived from the male name "Poppe" and the Latin word 'wier' (mound). The village was designated in 1988 as protected village. There are also a large number of properties listed on the monument list.

The oldest possession of the village is a unique 'Huguenot clockwork' from 1578 and a pulpit from 1700 located in the Reformed church restored in 1986. In addition, Poppenwier has a church, the Baptist hiding church, a inconspicuous 'Vermaning' without tower. The village has a beautiful club house "The Trilker 'which itself was built by the inhabitants in 1998. This was necessary because Poppenwier has a vibrant social life. The Trilker ( is the social heart of Poppenwier. In Poppenwier there is always something to do, for young and old. Because the village has an active social life, it means that many residents actively participate in the activities or organizing it.

The special character of it has always been; 'Participate may, but not required.' Due to capture the large number of associations / boards, there is often much to do in Poppenwier as 'Kaatsen' or jeu de boules competition, a 'himmeldei', a theater performance, a fun party or children activities. For all the activities there will be an annual Poppenwier Star calendar. Listed here are a lot of activities. The calendar is for a small amount available for the residents of Poppenwier and other interested parties.

A small mound village in the former Boarnsterhim. A village, where the tower of the Dutch Reformed Church rises above the rest. It is on the 11-lake route, which invites you to step on a bicycle and ride that route. Raerd is the start or finish of the 'Slachte' marathon, a hike which was run by thousands of people during 'Simmer 2000' and is now held every four years. In the 'Raerder bosk' owned by 'it Fryske Gea', was formerly 'Jongema State'. This 'State' was once inhabited by noble families such as the Van Eysinga and Van Slootens. In 1912 it was demolished and what left is the 'Poarte', also the access to the forest. One can walk around freely, except during the breeding season. A large crow- and heron colony are using the trees of the forest as a breeding ground. In the woods one can find many old 'stinzen' plants, which may of course not been picked.

Reduzum (formerly Rorthahusum, Rauwerdahuizum, Roordahuizum) is a mound village caused to the 'boor-den' of the former Middelzee. Very famous was the village of farmers and 'boerenfeinten' and the Grand Hotel 'De Trije Romers' along the road from Leeuwarden to Sneek. Even busier with diligences it was there when the road was diverted something to the present Snekerhoek and then was extended to Zwolle. The central location and the close involvement of the village with the peasantry in this hotel in 1879 where the ' Fries Rundvee Stamboek' and also the 'Fries Paarden Stamboek' established. Shortly thereafter, some farmers and landowners founded the cooperative dairy were with the century a large part of the farmers were connected. By scaling the factory was closed in 1962.

With regard to the sport, the Reduzemers have always tremendously performed. Skating, 'aaisykjen', 'kaatsen', gymnastics, volleyball, korfball and tennis are being intensively practiced since time immemorial. Especially the korfball achieved great triumphs at the highest level in the second half of the twentieth century. The oldest building in the village is the Dutch Reformed Church from the 15th century, perhaps emerge as house chapel at the ancestral home of the family Aytta. The church and the much newer tower (1878) were restored in 1983.

Famous became the village in 1906 when the social very moved Reverend Benjamin Boers stood here as a preacher. He was a passionate fighter for the upliftment of the working class and the abstinence. The abstainers in this formerly red, blue village builded, through his intercession, the Blue Tent during which time a still very famous truck stop at the 'Overijsselse Straatweg'.

Reduzum the last years expanded with a new residential area, almost entirely located near the water. By private initiative a marina was built with thirty berths and a connection was dug from the Zwin to the Zwette. Through the connection of these historic waters, the village has become very attractive for small pleasure boats. Reduzum played the leading role in the field of experimental self-government, resulted in 1995 that the village was the first in Friesland with some form of self-management. Afterward also other cores received self-management in the former municipality Boarnsterhim.

Sibrandabuorren with its beautiful, typical bridge from 1865 is in the heart of 'De Lege Geaën'. Although long ago Sibrandabuorren was the smallest village in this region, the population hovering for years around 400. The village is in a wetland. There is a connection to the Sneeker Oudvaart, where small pleasure boats are possible. There are also mapped canoe routes that lead through Sibrandabuorren. One of the most emblematic buildings in the village is the former dairy, founded in 1891. The factory, called 'De Lege Geaën', offered work to many people. In 1975, the factory was closed. Hereafter Transport Dotinga took over the factory and since 2004, the factory is owned by TBS (stainless steel).

Another iconic building is the Dutch Reformed Church. This was a few years ago restored. Unfortunately, the future of the church is uncertain. Near the church is a cafe, where the thirst can be quenched. Behind the church is the public school 'De Lege Geaën' a small friendly school with a lot of attention and space for the individual student. As the only public school in the region between Raerd and Sneek, this school is a basic facility, including the surrounding villages. The greengrocer comes 1x per week through the door and the baker brings fresh bread. In the village there is community sense. When the church had to be restored, many volunteers were ready to help. Also the playground got a makeover by volunteers.

Sibrandabuorren has a sports hall which is also used frequent by athletes from surrounding villages and Sneek. Neare the hall is a nice sports field used by the korfball club 'De Lege Geaën'. This dynamic association is playing at a high level. In addition, the village has a rich associational life, sometimes in cooperation with surrounding villages. In recent years, they completed two new projects. These projects have been realized on the north and south side of the village. The characteristic ribbon development of the village is preserved.

At the Sneekermeer is the village of Terherne. The name means 'the corner'. Terherne has emerged as the endpoint of the land allotments in the twelfth century. Terherne is enclosed on all sides by water. The village was formerly isolated on an island. Then on March 2, 1845 came the first pastor of the Reformed Church in service, four covered wagons came across the ice from Akkrum. According to tradition, there never was a car in the village and so they had a lot of attention. " In 1857, a gravel road was built that was connected on the road between Akkrum and Oude Schouw. In 1908 there was a connecting road constructed to Terkaple, the 'Rijksstraatweg' to Joure.

The inhabitants of Terherne found their living in agriculture, shipping and fisheries, and activity which where related to it. During the heyday of the Frisian merchant shipping in the 'Oostzee' and the 'Middelzee', in the eighteenth century, in Terherne were between 40 and 50 cof- and smack boaters. Many of the land of Terhernster farmers lay at the water and they had to use sailing commercial vessels. Some of the peasant sailing barges have been preserved in the village. Including 'the Koumelker', owned by the Association of Local Interest, which group tours can be made with.

The largest source of income is now formed by the water recreation. A number of water sports companies offer boaters the necessary service, while many tourists make use of amenities such as marinas, campsites and bungalows. Terherne is nowadays mostly known as Kameleondorp. The books by writer Hotze de Roos come to life in and around the village. In the Chameleon-Ervarium children and their parents will enjoy the atmosphere of the book and they have great chance to meet the characters from the books in person. In 2000, the village Terherne has shared second place in the competition for the European Village Renewal Prize.

Terkaple is a village in the municipality 'De Friese Meren' in the Dutch province of Friesland. It has about 220 inhabitants. The place owes its name to the emergence around a chapel. This chapel belonged to the church of Aldeboarn.

A village located in the area the 'Lege Geaën'. In the sixties the appearance of the village has changed by the land consolidation Sneeker Oudvaart. Canals and bridges have disappeared, but remained is a friendly atmosphere in the village. Central to the village is the Dutch Reformed Church with its medieval tower gable roof. The Reformed church is on the ' Westerein'. Tersoal is certainly not a quiet and aged village. The community spirit is thriving and there are many children. The primary school 'De Reinbêge' is visited by children from Tersoal, Sibrandabuorren, Poppenwier and Dearsum. One of the means of existence is still the farming business, particularly the cattle breeding. The association of village interests, where almost every household is a member, ensure that the village 'fan trije rapen en in koal' remains viable. Tersoal is a town full of activity in the green heart of Friesland: where life is good!

Wergea is a protected village. The Wergeasters are also called 'brêgebidlers' in the vernacular, a name they owe to the levying of tolls on the many bridges that owned the village earlier. The village has two almost identical bell towers, dating from the second half of the 19th century from far a distinguishing landmark. forces are bundled in the eighties of the last century to secure these two towers for the present and the future. Successfully.

The dairy industry have been important in the past for the development of Wergea. Here was founded the first cooperative dairy in the Netherlands in 1886. Especially after World War II, the factory flourished. It is very unfortunate that the factory has been closed since 1994. Many Wergeasters, after all, found work at the factory. Meanwhile, the land and buildings were sold to a number of companies which employment in Wergea is on the rise agian. Club life in the village is rampant. For the coverage to their members make associations use the village newspaper 'De Haven Bank. Wergea is also known by the writer Nienke van Hichtum, who wrote the book 'Afkes Ten'. A sculpture, depicting the child-rich family of Sjoerd Feenstra and Harmke-Tuinstra, which served as a model for the book can be found in the center. The restoration of the 'Ald Slot', with period rooms from the 18th and 19th centuries was completed. There is a possibility to see it.

Wergea has a modern marina, a harbor association and passers jetty. At the new wetland expansion, 'Grut Palma', will be built about 140 homes, including 24 senior housing. On August 22, 2007 the first pile was beaten in the first of 12 homes on Narderherne. With the construction of the 'Grut Palma' Wergea future looks very promising. The western of Wergea was dug a canal, the Nije Waring, in July 2009 it was officially inaugurated and in use. The 'Staandemastroute' from Lauwersmeer to Zeeland is now a fact. Right from the opening, many boats sailing to the village has used it. the Palmabrêge has turned the 1st season for about 4,500 boats. But quite rightly too many boats, put about 5400, for the very scenic route through the village. This 'Staandemastroute' will put Wergea water sports village on the map.

Warstiens is a small village near the water. The village is separated by a wide canal,'Het Langdeel'. To the east of this water are farmlands with some farms, in the west lies the mound, which in contrast to what is common the tower is on the east side of the church. The medieval church bell (Cecilliaklok) which is one of the oldest in Friesland (1252) is in the National Carillon Museum in Asten. But even now you can at least twice a day hear the bell ring. At 08.00 and 16.00 the purchased bell, dating from 1607 and in 1882, still sound.

Warten was founded at the river 'It Alddjip'. In 1543, the village is shown as Warthna. Around the year 900, there was already mound occupation and the name Wartengahe occurred, probably as a designation for the entire region (gea from Warten-Wergea-Warstiens) .Warten, formerly a village of farmers, fishermen, sailors and artisans, was transport designated entirely on the water. Only in 1865, the road came to Garyp and in 1866. ready to Wergea.

The village is in the immediate vicinity of one of the most important natural and recreational areas of Friesland, namely the National Park De Alde Feanen and the Princenhof. Annually about 12,000 pleasure boats heading to this area. The recreation on the water Warten has traditionally a good reputation in the field of shipbuilding. Water sports enthusiasts can go to various sites for new construction, maintenance, repair, winter storage and sale mediation. Furthermore Warten still has marinas where hundreds of ships could find a spot.

A visit to the museum farm Súdwâl with the 'Old Frisian Greidbuorkerij' and 'It Earmhûs' museum is definitely recommended. Fishing, once so important for Warten, shown extended, in the summer months regularly exhibits are on display. A look at the Dutch Reformed Church which was built in 1780 with its beautiful stained glass windows is also worthwhile. Warten is a nice village to recreation, but also to live there!

The mound of the ancient mound village was largely excavated. At the remainder is an early 13th century church with a tower of tuff from the 11th century. On the outskirts of the village is the family cemetery of the family Buma. William Hopper Wiardus Buma was mayor of Hennaarderadeel from 1898 to 1902. Just outside the village is an American windmill. It is a national monument. Less than a kilometer from Weidum is 'It Wiel'. The old milk factory there now has a different function and houses several small businesses.